Is Lysol Flammable? (Answered)

Lysol

Always look for the best household cleaning products when you wish to clean your house. One of the top brands is Lysol. Its dual functionality as a disinfectant and cleaning agent makes it even more ideal. However, you must use it with caution because of its chemical makeup. The first question you should ask is, “Is Lysol flammable?

The article provides an answer to that question. Additionally, we inform you if Lysol is toxic, corrosive, or has any other danger.  Secondly, you’ll want to know if you can clean your wooden floors and granite countertops with Lysol. Finally, we show safe Lysol disposal.

Is Lysol Flammable?

Lysol is flammable; you should never place it near an open flame. Lysol is flammable; keep it away from any open flames at all times. It contains several compounds that are flammable and combustible when they are close to an open flame. In addition to ethanol, which is flammable, Lysol has aerosol. 

Avoid high temperatures, too, as they can cause Lysol to explode. Temperatures above 130°F(54°C) are not ideal for using or storing Lysol. 

Read: Is Wool Flammable?

Is Lysol Flammable When Dry?

Dry Lysol is not flammable. Lysol’s flammable chemical vapors are only active when Lysol is in its liquid state. Although this does not imply that you should light a fire close to the surface where you used Lysol, as the cleaner may have yet to dry. After drying, Lysol typically leaves behind a residue that still has the potential to ignite.

After using Lysol in your kitchen, use a damp towel to clean the surfaces. Remove the residue left by Lysol with a damp towel. If possible, use a moist towel to wipe the surface twice. You must still wait for the wet cloth’s water to dry, which should take one to two hours. After that, you can do your cooking safely.

However, avoid using Lysol on heating-up machines like dryers, ovens, etc., as they could catch fire.

READ:  Is Rhodium Magnetic? (Answered)

Is Lysol Toxic?

Lysol is extremely toxic since it contains denatured ethanol. Denatonium benzoate and toxins like methanol, naphtha, and pyridine exist in denatured ethanol. All these chemicals make the denatured ethanol more toxic. Lysol becomes toxic due to ethanol. Remember, Lysol is harmful since it has ingredients that are particularly good at eliminating viruses, fungi, and bacteria.

Benzalkonium chloride, the primary active component in Lysol, primarily kills microorganisms and prevents further growth. Lysol is toxic since it contains the same ingredients that make chloride effective as an antimicrobial agent and preservative. Eye and skin irritation results from short-term exposure. Dermatitis, a general word for frequent skin and respiratory tract irritation, develops due to long-term exposure.

Is Lysol Corrosive?

Yes, Lysol is corrosive. If left in contact with metals for a long time, several of the chemical components in Lysol will corrode the metal. One of the substances that will corrode metal is bleach. Quaternary ammonium compounds, similarly corrosive to metals, are present in Lysol in place of bleach. 

Read more on Quaternary-ammonium-compounds

Do not leave Lysol on metal surfaces or appliances in its solution for an extended period.

Can Lysol Be Used on Granite?

You should never use Lysol to clean granite because it is acidic and alkaline. The harsh chemicals in Lysol will damage it, including ammonia. Lysol, which contains lemon, will cause further and quicker damage to granite. The acid in lemon destroys the sealer that shields the granite. Granite can be scratched and eaten away in the same way by ammonia.

You should avoid Lysol when cleaning granite if it contains vinegar, lime, or bleach. Most people enjoy using Lysol wipes to swiftly clean and remove oil from surfaces. Other Lysol chemical components that could affect granite include the following:

  • Ethanolamine (controls pH levels)
  • Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether (solvent)
  • Ethanol Alcohol (sanitizer and fragrance source)
  • Alkyl polyglucoside (acts on dirt and foul odors)

Lysol’s alkaline nature is another obstacle to applying it to granite. Any alkaline solution will damage granite since neutral pH is ideal for granite. With a pH balance of 10.5, liquid Lysol is on the more alkaline end of the spectrum. The range is from 0 to 14. A substance with a pH of 7 is balanced and neutral. If the number is less than seven, the substance is acidic; if it is greater than seven, it is acidic.

Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride is a component of Lysol, which is likewise inappropriate for granite. Because granite is polka-marked and retains the cleaning agent, it has dents and fissures. Alkalis cause long-term staining and granite etching which penetrate deeply into the pores. These blemishes will cause your granite to lose its brilliance.

READ:  Is Black Coffee Homogeneous or Heterogeneous? (Answered)

Can Lysol Be Used on Wooden Flooring?

You can use Lysol on wooden flooring, but the floor must be non-porous or polished. Non-porous and polished floors don’t absorb moisture as porous wooden flooring does. However, you should add water to dilute, but not too much, as you must restrict wood contact with water to prevent any damage. 

Do not use Lysol on porous wood surfaces that have not been painted, treated, or finished. 

Any non-porous wood surfaces cleaned with Lysol are liable to develop unsightly stains. The harmful substances and compounds found in Lysol’s chemical ingredients will damage wooden floors. It could take some time before Lysol on wooden floors dries fully. It will damage the wood if applied on porous wood because it will remain there for a while.

Read: How Long is Spilled Gas Flammable?

Dangers of Using Lysol

Lysol has several health hazards, particularly if you have children or pets. One of its ingredients, phenol, is the most poisonous. We highlight the dangers related to using Lysol below.

  • Direct contact can cause eye irritation and skin irritation. 
  • You will suffer from lung irritation when you swallow high amounts of Lysol. Lysol contains denatured ethanol, which is poisonous to human beings. 
  • Pets, especially cats, don’t have systems that can digest ethanol and phenol and will suffer poisoning. Other pets are also in danger. Inhalation can also cause the chemicals to be absorbed into the pets’ bodies, causing: vomiting, seizures, impaired respiratory function, and many others. 

How to Dispose of Lysol Safely?

Given that Lysol contains strong chemicals, you won’t want to dispose of it in the trash. The following are some methods for safely disposing of Lysol:

1. Down the drain

Lysol is a household cleaner, so pouring it down the drain won’t affect anything. Most household cleaning products can be flushed down the toilet and treated by the same systems that handle other household trash.

Lysol has no environmentally hazardous components when used as a cleaning product. It is water soluble and is designed for safe disposal in public and private water treatment systems.

You can recycle empty Lysol containers or contact your neighborhood recycling center.

2. Hazardous waste collection centers

Taking a household cleaning solution containing hazardous chemicals to the nearest disposal facility is preferable. Most places offer facilities where you can drop off household hazardous waste, like

  • Waste landfill areas,
  • Designated fire station,
READ:  Is Copper Magnetic? (No...)

Most require that you use the original containers and properly label them. You must find out about their other regulations before bringing the containers to the waste collection places.

3. Give it away

Why not think about donating Lysol to a friend, your local church, a homeless shelter, or any other organization, considering it has no expiration date? Before giving Lysol away, maintain it in its original, clearly labeled container. 

Read: Is Ink Flammable or Combustible?

Frequently Asked Questions

What should you do if you accidentally inhale Lysol?

It is dangerous to breathe in Lysol because it contains phenol. You will experience a headache, sore throat, coughing fit, shortness of breath, or wheezing after unintentionally inhaling. Right away, you should visit your doctor. Your lungs and mucous membranes will inflame from prolonged exposure, making it harder to breathe and swallow.

Can you mix Lysol and Hydrogen peroxide?

It is possible considering their distinct traits, though it could be dangerous if you don’t do it correctly.  Hydrogen peroxide is a general-purpose disinfectant, while Lysol is a potent one. However, you can only combine Lysol without bleach and hydrogen peroxide. A chemical reaction brought on by bleach will result in the production of hazardous gasses.

When mixing, stick to the following procedure:
Add 100 ml of hydrogen peroxide to the container.
Pour 100 cc of Lysol without bleach into the same bottle next.

Can Lysol Be Used on Quartz? 

There are better products than Lysol to clean Quartz because it might contain bleach. Citric acid, which is present in most disinfectants, including Lysol, can destroy the seal on your Quartz countertops, making them more vulnerable to discoloration. Lysol that contains vinegar will permanently cause damage to Quartz countertops.

Conclusion

Lysol works reasonably well as a disinfectant, but you should be aware that it is flammable. It is flammable due to various components, including ethanol and aerosol. Avoid using it on heated surfaces even if it becomes less flammable when dried.

It is alkaline and should not be used on granite or quartz countertops as it will quickly erode the seal. However, if the wooden flooring is non-porous, you can use Lysol. Once Lysol has dried, it leaves a hazardous residue that your pets might consume or inhale.

Similar Posts