Can Moldavite Get Wet? (And Go in the Sun?)


Moldavite is a natural glass formed by a meteorite impact that occurred in Southern Germany about 15 million years ago. It is usually green, yellowish green, or brownish green in color. Moldavite gets its name from the Moldau (Vltava) river in Bohemia, Czech Republic—the place from where the first specimens were discovered. 

Have you ever wondered if moldavite can go in the water? In this article, we are going to discuss just that. We will begin with the properties of moldavite. Then we will talk about its interaction with water, salt, and sunlight. Finally, we will learn how to clean and take care of moldavite. 

Read: Can Smoky Quartz go in the Water?

Can Moldavite Go in the Water?

Yes, moldavite can go in the water, but it is not recommended to do so. Moldavite has a value of 5-5.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, which is barely above the minimum value required for minerals to be safe underwater. Water can tarnish the appearance and damage the structure of the crystal.

Mohs Hardness Scale is a relative measure of a mineral’s resistance to scratching. Besides that, it also indicates a mineral’s relationship with water. Usually, a value over 5.0 means that the mineral is safe to go underwater.

Soft minerals like selenite (value of 2.0 on the Mohs Scale) should never be put into water. But even for relatively harder minerals like moldavite, water can be damaging, both in terms of appearance and structure. 

What are the Properties of Moldavite?

These are the properties of Moldavite:

  1. Origin: Moldavite is thought to have formed from a meteorite impact that took place 15 million years ago in Europe. The heat of the impact vaporized the rock upon which the meteor struck, then it was condensed into a molten liquid and finally solidified into an amorphous glass. These transformations occurred so quickly that the atoms did not have time to organize themselves into crystals, and hence moldavite is a mineraloid.
  2. Composition: Moldavite has the chemical formula of SiO2(+Al2O3). Moldavites have strange pittings and marks on their surface, which is what led scientists to realize that moldavites came out of meteorites. Moldavites belong to a type of meteorite known as a tektite. The highly textured surface of moldavites is because of the pervasive impact of CO2 and humic acids present in the groundwater.
  3. Hardness: Like most man-made glasses, Moldavite has a value of 5-5.0 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. This means that it is a rather fragile material, which is why it is only used for jewelry that is not often subjected to impact such as earrings, pins, and pendants. Because of its low durability, moldavite is not a good gem for rings. Despite its fragility, moldavite is hard enough to survive underwater.
  4. Structure & Appearance: Moldavite is not a mineral, so it does not have a proper crystal system. It also does not have cleavage. In terms of diaphaneity, it can be transparent, translucent, or opaque, and it has a vitreous lustre. Moldavite comes in different kinds of greens: forest green, olive green, bluish green, etc. It leaves a white streak.
  5. Inclusions: Moldavite was formed by the heat of a meteorite impact. Because of the heat, the impacted rock went through several transformations. Because these changes were quite rapid, gases were trapped in the glass. These appear as tiny bubbles under magnification. Moldavite also has inclusions of lechatelierite (a form of SiO2), and these inclusions are the best way of identifying moldavite. 
READ:  Can Bloodstone go in the Water? (And in the Sun?)

Besides these, moldavite is also believed to have spiritual properties. Because of its extraterrestrial origins, moldavite has a unique appeal to those interested in astrological, spiritual, and new-age practices. 

But because of the great appeal of this extraterrestrial stone, some people have also started to sell fake moldavite. Check out this video to learn how to determine the authenticity of moldavite.

Can You Shower With Moldavite?

Yes, you can shower with moldavite, but it is not recommended to do so. Moldavite has a value of 5.0-5.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, which is barely above the value required for minerals to be safe underwater. Moreover, showering can pose other dangers to the crystal.

While Moldavite’s hardness is above the required value for minerals to be safe underwater, it can still get damaged with water. Prolonged exposure to water causes the water to enter the crevices of the stone and encourages fissures.

Read: Can Selenite go in Salt

Water also tarnishes the appearance of the crystal by damaging the polish. Moreover, while showering, there can also be other dangers. For example, your jewelry might slip and fall on the floor.

Moldavite is quite a fragile crystal, and such a fall can severely damage it, perhaps even break it. So, it is always better to take off the jewelry while showering. Even for other activities like cleaning, which involve chemical liquids, it is best to remove the jewelry to keep it safe.


What Happens When Moldavites go in the Water?

Moldavite is a rather fragile substance, having a value of 5.0-5.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. This value is just above the minimum value required for minerals to be safe underwater, so water can be quite damaging to Moldavite. It can damage both their structure and appearance.

READ:  Is Gold Flammable? Truth Revealed...

Water enters the crevices of the stones and widens them. These fissures may not be visible at first but slowly damage the structure of the sone, making it brittle.

Water can also tarnish the appearance of the stone by stripping off its polish. Fissures, encouraged by water, can also change the way light bounces inside the stone. So, the optical properties of the stone can be damaged, reducing the stone’s beauty and value.

Can Moldavite Go in Salt?

Yes, moldavite can go in dry salt. However, it should never be immersed in salt water. Moldavite has a value of 5.0-5.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, which is barely above the value required for minerals to be safe underwater. When we bring salt into the mix, it makes the corrosive effect of water even worse.

Salt, when dissolved in water, can enter the crevices of the stones. These salt particles stay there even after the water evaporates and they widen the cracks. These fissures weaken the structure of the crystal and make it more brittle.

Salt water, like regular water, can also affect the polish of the stone, making it look duller. Finally, salt water can also react adversely with the elements of the crystals, especially if they contain iron. Saltwater hastens the rusting process by making the iron lose its electrons more easily.

Read: Can Rose Quartz Go in the Water

Without the help of water, salt is not able to enter the crevices of the stone. A surface-level contact between moldavite and salt will not harm the former. This is because Moldavite’s hardness (5.0-5.5) is greater than that of salt (2.0-2.5).

READ:  Is Seawater a Mineral? (Why Not?)

Putting crystals in dry salt is a popular way of recharging them, and you can do this with moldavite.

Can Moldavite go in the Sun?

Yes, moldavite can go in the sun. Putting crystals in the sun is a popular method of recharging them, and it is quite safe for moldavite. However, you must not leave the stone out for too long as that can be damaging.

A good way to recharge your moldavite crystal is by keeping it out in the sun. Just leave it on a windowsill, and the glass will work as a protective layer against harmful UV rays. Make sure you do not leave the crystal in sunlight for too long as it can fade the color of the crystal.

Moreover, you can try keeping the crystal out during the early morning hours when sunlight is gentle. Besides sunlight, you can also recharge the stone in the moonlight. 

How to Cleanse and Take Care of Moldavite?

Moldavite has a value of 5.0-5.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, meaning that it is quite a soft substance. While it is safe to go into the water for a short while, it is best not to immerse it for cleaning. Instead, you can follow these steps:

  1. Rinse the crystal under running water for a few minutes.
  2. Buff it with a soft, dry cloth.
  3. Let the crystal air dry by putting it in a warm place. Flip it over a few times to ensure that all the water is removed from the crevices. 

Because of its low hardness, moldavite is only used for jewelry that is less prone to damage; such as earrings, pins, and pendants. If moldavite is used in a ring, a metal bezel or other protective feature should be used to protect it from impact.

In general, one must avoid wearing moldavite while engaged in intense physical activities like sports or swimming. You should also take it off while cleaning because household chemicals can generally harm soft substances like moldavite.


In this article, we have looked at moldavite’s interaction with water. With a value of 5-5.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, moldavite is a rather soft mineral. While it may be safe to put it in water for a short while, it is best to not immerse it at all. We talked about moldavite’s relationship with sunlight and salt. Finally, we learned how to clean and take care of moldavite. 

Similar Posts